RE: Fw: CA Special Alert

To: "Steve Kupper" <skupper@2xtreme.net>,
Subject: RE: Fw: CA Special Alert
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 16:49:50 -0700
Well it looks like we agree, but I would clarify the difference between
something that is done, and something that is legal.

The reason these laws stand is because nobody has challenged them. States
frequently pass laws that violate the Federal Constitution. And the Supreme
Court cannot initiate stepping in to change it -- instead, somebody who is
directly affected by the law must first sue the State to change it. Only
after the case is initiated can the Supreme Court step in. And even then,
they don't have to step in. They usually wait until the case resolves
itself. So they they rarely take a case until it reaches them through a long
string of appeals all initiated by the person who initiated the case to
begin with.

James Bakke comes to mind as an example . . . as does Rosa Parks. . .

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, it is such a
royal PITA to initiate such a case that it is done only rarely, and only for
the most egregious violations. Most of us are just too busy living
productive lives to bother with it, and I suppose that's as it should be.

My point is that just because the police do it, does not make it legal, nor
does it make it right. It's not much different from a thief who has not yet
been caught. He's breaking the law but nobody's done anything about it yet.
I should use a better example -- since I respect most police officers but I
don't respect thieves. But the idea is the same.

So I guess we agree. I would admire anybody who chose to fight it, but
personally I think life is too short and one must choose his battles more
wisely. . .

However, writing a letter is a lot less hassle and if more people did that I
believe things would change. Every time a politician receives a well
articulated and well reasoned letter from a pissed off citizen, I can tell
you it is a wake-up call. In other words, if people didn't act like sheep,
our "leaders" wouldn't be trying to herd us. . .

Regards,