Nationals suspended

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Nationals suspended
From: David Rowney <daver@uclink.berkeley.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 13:30:46 -0700
TOPEKA, Kan. - (September 11, 2001)-The Sports Car Club of America has
announced that the Solo II. Nationals held at Forbes Field in Topeka, Kan.,
has been temporarily halted, in lieu of the national security risk that
started with the apparent terrorist act on the World Trade Center this
morning in New York City.
"For issues of National Security and the safety of our SCCA members
participating at the Solo II Nationals, we have no other option but to stop
the event," said Steve Johnson, President and CEO of the SCCA. "We are
temporarily planning to restart the event Thursday morning, September 13.
Until then, there will be no activity with regard to the Solo II Nationals."
The Solo II Nationals are the annual National Championships for Solo II
racing, drawing over 1,200 competitors from across North America. All
competitors and vehicles have been evacuated from Forbes Field, the airport
facility that promotes and houses the event. The event officially started
this morning, and was put on hold around lunchtime.