Re: Poor, poor tires..

To: jake_hodges@hotmail.com (Jake Hodges)
Subject: Re: Poor, poor tires..
From: Darren Madams <darren@madams.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 21:47:20 -0700 (PDT)
Adding to everyone elses excellent replies...

1. Brand new tires have a tendency to wiggle more on the tread blocks
which can generate heat quicker and knock off chunks of rubber much
sooner... you might even notice it chunking rather than polished
smooth.  Breaking in the tires for a few thousand miles really helps
a lot.  Of course then you'll need two sets of rims and if you're
doing that you might as well get race tires... but that's a whole
other debate.

2. You can get a reasonable amount of camber out of the front end of
a delsol (or any Honda) if you really want to... and (provided the
specs are legal) that will help a ton.  Or move to CSP and add a rear
bar and change the camber.  This will help a ton.  Take it to Jack or
someone who knows how to massage the bolts around and you'll be
surprised.

3. If you do have tires that can be flipped on the rims (not just
rotated front to rear), you can get quite a bit of extra life out of
them... but the cost of unmount/mount adds up.  And you'll be left
with a high point of tread in the middle.

4. If you use a similar style on race tires, you'll chew through them
quickly too!

5. Part of the key driving point of FWD, along with slow-in, fast-out
is not roasting the tires coming out of a corner.  That is, unwind
the wheel until the tires hook up again, then feed the steering back
in smoothly and slowly while adding power.  Nothing invokes more push
and more tire wear than bonzai plowing into a corner, yanking the
wheel then holding it fully turned while mashing the throttle.

6. Shocks will help too... and can be taken with you to CSP if you
choose.

7. Buy my kart, tires are <$180 a set and can last forever depending
on compound.

        --Darren