THINK ORGANIC

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: THINK ORGANIC
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 15:19:49 -0800
There are many solid reasons to learn how to cook, learn how to farm,
learn how to sew, learn how to build houses, and so on, and these
reasons are even more apparent now that our nation is in a state of war,
and the enemy lives amongst us.

When the end of the world comes, brother, the computer geeks who do
everything on-line (even have conversations) are going to perish. That's
how it's going to be.

For example, there is a threat that we could lose our suspension bridges
in California. Do you know how dependent our survival is on those
bridges? If I can't get across the bridge, I can't get to work, I can't
get to my computer, I can't get my e-mail, I can't have conversations
with my friends, and I can't do my shopping. I won't be able to get
money out of the bank. Money won't be worth anything, anyway.

I am going to starve to death.

Don't you see? I don't know how to grow my own food. And all the members
of that high school program, the Future Farmers of America, the ones I
laughed at because they seemed awfully proud of their ability to grow
asparigus, will prosper. THEY are the strong ones. And the football
jocks, the ones we laughed at because they could lift heavy stuff and
that's about it, THEY will be our leaders. We will need them, and we
will have to admit it. We will have to be nice to them.

We need to think "big picture" here. Think organic. When the big bomb
drops, in whatever form that is, we will have no computers available to
run our autocross events. We'll need to do everything by hand, including
the data entry on our cards, much as we do it now.

So, just imagine a period in the semi-distant future, when we no longer
run our events the "old fashioned way." Imagine autocross events where
people really don't know how to write their names with a pen.

Tasks that we could once do ourselves now require a computer. Of course,
you laugh, we could go back to our "old way," the way of the peasants.
But think about your children. And your children's children. Imagine
little Tommy Two-Stroke crawling out from his cubicle, saying, "Mommy,
what's a timing card?"

"Well, Tommy, it's from the days of old. I think I remember Gramma
telling me something about them. You had to write using something called
a pen, a long, tubular like device, and when you put it down on paper, a
color came out."

"Mommy, what's a 'paper'?"

"Well, I'm trying to explain honey. Things were a lot more simple back
then. You could buy your food in a supermarket, a large building, and
you could hold the food in your hands. Well, anyway, back then, they
could autocross, and they didn't need computers!"

"Wow, Mommy, were they magic?"

Katie Kelly