RE: SFR rule (Ok, I'll bite... And write a book, maybe)

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: SFR rule (Ok, I'll bite... And write a book, maybe)
From: "Talley, Brooks" <brooks@frnk.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 18:57:32 -0800
> > 15.Passengers: Passengers are allowed at any time within the limits
> > set in the SCCA National Solo II Rules Section 1.4.
> National Solo 2
> > rule 4.8 is waived in the case of Novices, and drivers riding as
> > instructors.  This means that others riding before their
> timed run are
> > subject to disqualification.
>
> I might vote for that.  This allows for instructor rides with
> non-novices, and allows the protest committee to make a
> judgement on whether a pre-ride is an instructional run.

I usually stand on the sidelines in these things, as I'm not nearly as
knowledgeable as many (most? all?) of the other folks here.  However,
this proposed rule would definitely have impacted me and my girlfriend
this year... Moreso her than me.  Maybe our situation is unique, but I
thought I'd point out at least one unintended consequence this rule
could have.

My girlfriend and I co-drive my car.  The car is better set-up than
either of the drivers, that's for sure.  But I've been doing better and
finally won one event this year, and came in in the top three a couple
of times towards the end of the season.  Next year, if I can just
convince Corey to move to Nebraska, I could really be in business.

Anyways, it was only after Becca had spectated at and rode as a
passenger for several (5? 10?) events that I got her to try driving.
She's improved greatly (at the evolution school alone last year, she
closed from 20 seconds behind me to 3 behind on a 40 second course, and
she's continued to get better since then).

So far, she's insisted that I ride along and coach her on her runs.  I
coach/instruct to the best of my abilities ("more gas! Unwind! Brake
now! Harder! Woops, I didn't mean that!" and so on).   Then she rides
along and sees how it's "supposed" to be done (ha!).

So it's not just one pre-ride in my case, it's often 3 (at least 2,
depending on the order we run in, which I've let her decide each time),
one before each my my runs.  At least this year.

Do I benefit?  Of course I do; I see her make mistakes, and what she
does right.  And I'm verbally coaching the entire time, so probably some
of that sinks into my own subconscious (and when I give her bad advice,
I know what *not* to do... heh).  I'm usually watching her hands, feet,
and eyes more than the course, but obviously it's got to do some good.

Sure, with a rule like this I could *maybe* round up a surrogate
instructor who runs later (except when we run group 8), and who she's
comfortable with, and who maybe has some experience in similar cars.
But he/she would be at a serious disadvantage as an instructor, not
having the kind of experience driving this particular car.

Of course, some committee could "decide" what the purpose my my
ride-alongs was, but regardless of *intent*, the *results* were both
instructional for her and advantageous to me.  If the goal is purity of
the points in regional events, our kind of arrangement should definitely
be banned.  However, if the goal is to draw newcomers to the sport and
get them up to speed (har!) fairly quickly, limiting ride-alongs seems
counter-productive.

My vote: leave regional events for weekend competition.  Use divisionals
and nationals to allow the most serious drivers to see where they stand
relative to each other in a more rigid and fair setting.   One way or
another, it sounds like the intent and goals of the regional program
need to be more clearly defined, and then any rules adjustments made
with an eye towards those goals.

Cheers
-b