Scales

To: kirkm@zeta-idt.com, "John F. Kelly Jr." <76067.1750@compuserve.com>,
Subject: Scales
From: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 13:04:36 -0700
Kirk Meline writes, in part:

>On the scales issue, I was one of the people working impound and the scales.
>Basically, most people were happy with the results except for a few that
>fell a couple pounds shy.  We put the two 50 pound weights on to test the
>scales and two were showing one pound off.  It could have been a tenth of a
>pound off but who knows.  If you figure that error for one, two, or three
>thousand pound cars and it probably was off by at least a few pounds.  I am
>no expert on scales so that was what I saw on Saturday.  Maybe the car
>owners can just throw in ten or twenty more pounds to be safe next time.

We should all remember,unless grossly in error, the scales at the event are
THE SCALES, period.

Since all things have "tolerances' (euphemism for errors), its to be
expected with scales. A good way to "hedge' against scale variances is to,
if possible, weigh the car on the event scales BEFORE running. At a weekend
event, where things aren't always set up early enough, and there's lots of
other things for all of us to do it may not be possible to always do that.
However, at Nationals, its smart to get a scale "baseline" ahead of time
then, make sure there's a 10+# cushion to cope with whatever, including
possible wind influences, after accounting for fluid losses.

        Don