Re: A/C Paving 101

To: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: A/C Paving 101
From: "Anthony Tabacco" <atabacco@california.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 23:42:41 -0700
I agree with you on this Don and I think we both know simply finding and
reaching a mutually beneficial agreement with an entity that is open to such
an arrangement, a pretty daunting task by itself, will be only the first
hurdle. More troublesome to me is that we require public approvals, usually
in the form of a Conditional User Permit in order to conduct our events, and
a Conditional Use Permit, assuming we can get one in the first place, is
revocable at any time. Before we could prudently participate with a
"partner" we need to decide how to cover our investment should we lose our
entitlement. In the context of the San Francisco Bay Area, I can't stress
the reality of this enough. I always enjoy the variety of opinions I hear in
these site discussions, but the only issue I that I find consistently
frustrating is the lack of appreciation of just how genuinely out of the
mainstream our activity is. Beyond any of the practical disadvantages we
discussed like wear and tear, there is no compelling political reason for
anyone to support us in this. It is a lose-lose proposition for a public
entity, no upside. That we actually still have sites to use in the area is
amazing to me, and attributable I think to both hard work in getting and
keeping them, and lack of public awareness about what we're up to. I do keep
the faith however that there is some trucking guy out there planning a cross
dock out there where there ain't no people and who wants a break on the site
costs in return for weekend use. We just have to find him. And get him to
take our money.
Tony