Re: Tire problem...

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tire problem...
From: Jake Hodges <jake@codeworm.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 08:14:42 -0800
 > I'm not considering
 > single-purpose dry cornering tires like the BFG KD or Azenis for my street
 > tires.

We've already established that I'm an idiot, so there's no real risk in
leaking this...  All experiments were done in the absolute absence of other
human beings, with my car and I (and perhaps a redwood tree or two) the
only objects at risk of damage.  Sorry about the trees, but if you want to
make an omelette...

I've got to second Sean's report.  I was worried that the big flat Falcons
would be dangerous when there was water about, so I've been driving around
like an idiot on my Azenis in the rain to see if my fears are justified.
I've been quite pleased.

I HAVE tried cornering, including trips up and down both sides of Mt. Tam
to visit my sister.  The drive was less hairy than it was on the Goodyear
Eagers that came on the car in the dry.  In addition, the roads around
where I work in Santa Clara are all wide and deserted on weekends, and I've
flown about the office parks with abandon.  The only time I've lost
traction was locking up a front wheel on a paint stripe under braking much
harder than it's comfortable to brake in the dry.  I used my
"take-your-foot-off-the-pedal-and-reapply" style ABS, and stopped just fine.

I lost traction a few times in my office parking lot, but that's just
because I couldn't resist yanking on my e-brake on the fresh slurry
coat.  Throwing the tail out was fun.  I never spun all the way around, and
I was able to recover every time without fishtailing the other direction.

I'm satisfied that I can now drive like a sane person in the presence of
other cars without putting anyone at risk for having good dry tires.

Jake

P.S.  Man, I miss autocross..