Left-foot braking (was Re: The hardest autox skill?)

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Left-foot braking (was Re: The hardest autox skill?)
From: "Scot Zediker" <roadsterboy@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:54:07 -0800
Now that this has come up, I did left-foot brake my Z when I was still
autocrossing.  However, I should mention that my Z had an automatic, which
made it easy to practice this technique on the street.  Once I got the
Miata, I didn't practice it anymore.  And the one time I actually tried to
LFB the Miata, I wound up hitting the clutch.

The Z was not terribly nose-heavy (in fact, the weight distribution on a Z31
such as mine is about the same as a Miata's), but left-foot braking it did
help plant the nose better.  The strut suspension on the Z does NOT stick
well under power, whereas the Miata will still turn if you come in too hot
and can stay off the marbles.

Scot