DP weights (was: Miata classification question.)

To: osp13@mybluelight.com
Subject: DP weights (was: Miata classification question.)
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 18:22:08 EST
Rich writes:

> Since you brought it up can you explain what the
> following from the December '02 FASTRACK means?
>
> "Change the DP minimum weight for the 948cc Lotus 7A
> to 1125 lbs. Comment: this provides a similar lbs./cc
> ratio for this car to that of cars such as the Midget."
>
> The 2002 SIIR has:
> car     weight/cc
> Midget   1200/948
> Midget   1550/1550
>
> Which of those ratios is 1125/948 similar to
> that the current 1200/948 for the 7A is not?

Those are both bad examples, because no one runs those cars.  The 1500
Midget's weight is lower per cc, I'm guessing, due to its single carb
requirement.  We had letters on the subject of the 7A's weight, and of course
the Miata was being discussed, so we felt we could adjust those weights as
"open topics" of 2002.  I would guess that your examples will be adjusted,
along with most of the weights in the class, for 2004.  Part of what will
happen, I'd guess, is that the other 948 cc cars (and Fiat 850, which would
have a minimum of 1000 lbs with the same formula applied to the 7A!) will be
given weights that are nearly unobtainable for them, where the Lotus 7A will
be able to get to its weight.  If that causes someone to bring out a 948
Sprite, Midget, Turner, Fiat 850, or the other 7A's that I've been told would
come out if the weight was reasonable, that's great, there are other cars in
the class.

Hopefully this answers your questions.

CHD