RE: Using a Video Camera in car

To: Larrybsp@aol.com, Vettes@asu.edu, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Using a Video Camera in car
From: "Thana, Peter {HTS~Palo Alto}" <PETER.THANA@ROCHE.COM>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 09:46:33 -0700
Things I've learned about using a video camera in-car:

-Use manual exposure if possible.  Auto exposure takes an average of the
dark stuff in your interior and the super bright view out the
windshield.  The result is the view outside is almost always overexposed
to the point of saturation.  If you can turn down the exposure and lock
it, you'll see everything better

-If you're having problems with focus, try to set manual focus and lock
that.

-Buy an accessory wide angle lens.  This should give you a wider FOV.
Buy one with filter threads on the end if possible.

-Stick a polarizing filter on the end of the wide angle lens.  A
polarizer will greatly cut down on glare outside and especially off the
dashboard.

How you would adjust these things on your particular camera I don't
know.  Try going thru the setup menus or consulting the manual.

Good luck,
Peter