Course designs (was: Atwater some more)

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Course designs (was: Atwater some more)
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 09:04:45 EDT
In a message dated 5/12/03 9:10:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
lomike@earthlink.net writes:

> In practice there are people who feel it is within their
> purview to walk course late in the process and "adjust"  almost any aspect
> of courses even after it has been approved for safety.

As a course designer, this REALLY pisses me off.  When I design a course by
putting the cones down first, I want them specifically where I put them for a
reason, not several feet away from where I put them.  I think it's pretty
arrogant to just move the cones.  If you want to ask the designer to consider
something, fine.  The thing I notice is that the cone movers are seldom
people who sign up to do courses themselves.  Ben and I don't always like
where each other place the cones, but we don't just go and change each others
courses.

When I put the lines down first, I usually have a little less invested in the
specifics than when I do the cones first.  OTOH, it's also a little more
obvious when I come back through, as a moved cone is farther away from the
line than where I intended it to be.

Charlie