Re: formula 5

To: Jack Daniels <jdaniels6281@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: formula 5
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:51:01 -0700
On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 07:43:20PM -0700, Jack Daniels wrote:
> I treated my Kumho Ecsta V700 tires with Formula V Traction
> Treatment last week in hopes that the tires would Hook up at Marina
> on Saturday. What a HUGE mistake! My tires had NO GRIP AT ALL.

I tried Formula V once.  I applied it to some half-worn Hoosiers, and
some mostly worn ECSTA V700s at the same time.  I followed the
directions and did a couple coats each day for three days in a row, on
Monday-Wednesday before the San Diego Tour.  I used the Hoosiers at
the tour.  On Friday in the dry, they seemed to stick really well.  On
Saturday and Sunday when it was wet, they stuck as well as could
possibly be expected.  They did get really worn that weekend, going
from just where the "hologram" tread vanishes to the point where the
inner groove was about to disappear over the course of 6 dry and 7 wet
runs.  They corded after 3 more runs at Castle.

I put the treated ECSTA V700s on about a month after treatment, and
they seemed to be back to their crusty old selves despite feeling
spongy and soft right after the treatment.  They performed about how
old crusty ECSTA V700s normally perform.  I got rid of them.

The real downside of the Formula V is that it stinks and it's a pain
to apply.  I think some of the vapor got into my clothes dryer air
inlet, because for the next week all the clothes that we ran through
the dryer came out smelling like airport fumes.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94