Re: impact wrench

To: pault151@comcast.net, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: impact wrench
From: Sethracer@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 16:03:32 EST
In a message dated 10/26/2003 12:36:13 PM Pacific Standard Time,
pault151@comcast.net writes:
I had one of the $40 12 V ones of a different brand and it lasted
about a season then broke, which maybe answers that.

An air impact will be a lot more useful if you also use it on other than wheel
lugs.  The electric is so large that it's tough to get into other areas,
though the air impacts are only a little smaller, it's when you go to the air
ratchet that it's really convenient.  I haven't decided to get "into" air in
my garage yet though.
If you are looking for an impact wrench to use for occasional air powered use
at home, the Cheap Harbor freight units will work fine. If you have too much
money burning a hole in your checkbook (not usually a racer's problem) then a
Ingersoll-Rand unit is better. But unless you are a daily-use pro, I don't
think it will matter. For use at the track, I decided to use my shoulders for
breaking loose the wheel lugs and using a 12 or 18V power screwdriver to spin
the
lugs off after they are free. I spin them back on with the same screwdriver,
then torque the lugs per the correct specs, or, at least tighten them with a
big X-wrench. You should always check the lug nut torque before your first run
of the day. - Seth Emerson