data acquisition

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: data acquisition
From: Phil Esra <pesra@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 14:50:36 -0800 (PST)
Another question--during my slow re-entry into autocross over the last
year, I've found it hard to mentally replay my previous run to learn
from it. It seems like the stimuli are coming too fast and the
adrenaline is flowing too heavily for me to file away the mistakes when
they happen. It's been really handy to have a passenger--they've been
able to remind me of the specific places where I've made mistakes on a
given run.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on fancy data recording
instruments, especially because there's no time between runs to really
wade around in all that information. What about attaching a voice
recorder to the dash and leaving it on for the run? They're cheap and
un-finicky, and I'd be able to take notes out loud during the run
("BRAKE EARLIER FOR THE HAIRPIN, JACKASS!") and easily review them
afterward.

Does this idea seem worthwhile? Or will my powers of recollection get
good enough with a little more practice that it won't be necessary? I
don't remember whether I used to have this problem or not. I'd be
curious to hear your thoughts.

Like falling in love all over again,

Phil