Are your brakes smoking?

To: "Bay Area-Autox" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Are your brakes smoking?
From: "Noel E. Esporo" <pr0file@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 13:00:23 -0800
At yesterday's event, I took my last run, stopped for a downed cone, then
took a re-run immediately after. When I returned from my re-run, my front
brakes were smoking hot and smelly. Kristy and I left-foot brake a lot and
during my last 2 runs, I was heavily using that technique. I had my front
shocks near full stiffness, the pads are Axxis Ultimates, and I'm using
Valvoline DOT4 fluid.

So my questions are: is it normal for the brakes to smoke under this much
usage? And what should I be looking for when I take a look at my pads, later
today? And should I be worried about the brake pads, themselves?

Any help or suggestions on this situation are always welcome!

Noel, smoking brakes, Esporo