RE: MR-2 Spyders vs. Miatae

To: Smokerbros@aol.com, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MR-2 Spyders vs. Miatae
From: "Thana, Peter {HTS~Palo Alto}" <peter.thana@ROCHE.COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 23:58:10 -0700
A '99 or '00 Miata with the sport suspension is the proven package, but
an '04 Spyder with LSD should be a great choice.  My WAG is the LSD
should at the very least make it a real contender, if not put it over
the top.  One thing is for sure, the Spyder has all kinds of motor over
the Miata.  It's stronger basically everywhere in the rev range,
particularly down low.  Considering they are both n/a 1.8s, Toyota
really got a lot more out of the package.

The Spyder is also mid engined, which really helps to put the power down
but can sometimes take some getting used to for the uninitiated.  Having
more experience in the 2nd gen MR2 and S2000, I feel that both cars are
under-sprung and move around too much, so it may help to have good
shocks.  The butt-heavy nature of the Spyder in particular could use
some more body motion control.

The LSD will not only help eliminate wheelspin, but also indirectly aid
the handling balance in stock trim.  You can basically make any car with
modest power and an open diff have no wheelspin, provided you put a big
enough bar on the opposite end.  The question is how will it handle?  My
2nd gen still had great balance with a big enough bar to kill wheelspin,
but everything I've heard about the Spyder suggests it was a bit more
tricky to walk the fine line between understeer and wheelspin.  With the
LSD, you should be able to choose a bar for balance only.  That is at
least in theory, provided the car doesn't pick a wheel clean off the
ground like the S2000.

A final thing I like about the Spyder is they are all basically the
same, except for the LSD on the '04s.  They all have ABS, they all have
power steering, and they all have A/C.  The lightest possible '99 Miata
sport has none of those and any Miata that has all carries too much
weight.

My advice would be to choose the car you like the best- either will
definitely be competitive, especially at the local level.  Obviously
used Miatas are available at a lower price point and have a more useful
trunk, but I've always thought the Spyder was a neat car and a bit more
peppy on the street.  Both should be as reliable as nails.

Peter