Re: ice-water cooling of intercoolers illegal in SP?

To: Joseph Weinstein <joe@bea.com>
Subject: Re: ice-water cooling of intercoolers illegal in SP?
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:54:32 -0700
On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 08:40:54AM -0700, Joseph Weinstein wrote:
> Hi. I just re-read the engine-and-drivetrain chapter of the street
> prepared solo II rules, and the third paragraph seems to indicate
> that using cold water and ice etc. to cool intercoolers is illegal!
> It says that the air-exposed portion of intercoolers must be cooled
> by the atmosphere only.

Joe, you might want to write to seb@scca.org for a clarification.

I think the rule applies to non-atmospheric cooling system that
operates while on course, and doesn't necessarily prohibit spraying
water on the intercooler on grid.

That paragraph also has a rule prohibiting the use of chilled liquids,
ice, etc.  I think that probably applies to what you can/can't do on
grid.  Unchilled water should be okay.

I'm not certain that everyone would agree with me, which is why I
think you should write in for a clarification.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94