Re: SCCA member notification clarification

To: Mark Mervich <mwizard@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: SCCA member notification clarification
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:55:13 -0700
On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 09:08:05PM -0700, Mark Mervich wrote:
> The member notification in the back of the latest Sportscar, Fastrack
> News, says at the top of the first page that"effective first day of the
> cover month: November 2004".  Does this mean that all the things which
> were passed in the meeting which the minutes cover go into effect on
> say Nov 1?  So that changes to Solo 2, the description and requirements
> of classes, would change in the middle of the "season"?  If not, then
> when do these changes go into effect?

Unless a particular change states otherwise within the text, then I
would go by "effective first date of the cover month".  Since the
National season is officially over, the major changes in the November
issue don't affect National events until the season starts next year.

Inasmuch as some local clubs are in the middle of a season (in our
case, the "Slush" season), the region may want to postpone the
effective date for regional events until the end of the season.
However, I believe that the region would have to make an active
decision to do so in order for the postponement to be official.

I think that there is a good reason to allow the changes to take
effect immediately.  The Slush season is fairly informal and not
considered as important as the summer season (just look at the trophy
size).  People like to use the Slush events to try out new setups and
get their cars tuned up for the new year.  I think that if there are
rule changes that require a setup change, that people should be
permitted to experiment with the new setup during the Slush season
without penalty, so that they will be ready when the SFR Championship
and National/ProSolo seasons start.

In general, the SEB saves the big changes for in-between seasons.
Only rule changes or clarifications that need to be made immediately
to correct a problem are made mid-season, in general.  You will see
new car classifications happen mid-season, as the cars come out.  You
will not see cars that have already been classified change classes
mid-season, unless the car is new and was first classified within the
past year.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94