Re: Street Tire Class

To: ba autox <ba-autox@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Street Tire Class
From: Viet-Tam Luu <viettamluu@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:30:30 -0800
For the amount of vocal opposition on this list when the rule change
was announced, I was a bit disappointed by the rather small showing of
STI competitors (or otherwise interested parties) at yesterday's
meeting. Discussion went back and forth at some length but was finally
tabled with no changes made. Having decided to run in ESP this year I
couldn't really speak from the point of the decision negatively
impacting me going forward; it was difficult for me to speak very
strongly against the decision since I no longer have a stake in it.

The main thrust of my argument was that many if not most STI people
don't even know about the change yet, seeing as though the pending
change was never mentioned at an event (driver's meeting for example),
has never been posted to the SFR website; nor do the regional
supplemental rules page (
http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Results/2004/Championship/supps.html#street%20tire
) reflect the latest changes. So being subscribed to this list or
being otherwise "connected" to the few people already in the know is
the only way of finding about the changes.

I floated the suggestion that we keep STI, but have all STI
competitors run with their open class; times could be affected due to
changing course and weather conditions but for those "casual"
participants this shouldn't really matter, and for more serious
competitors the effects should average out over the course of a
season. Nobody liked this idea though to me it seemed more appealing
than the status quo.

Anyway the long and short of it is that the decision stands and it's
harder than ever to reverse, so I hope that anybody who knew about the
change and knew about the meeting but didn't show up either supports
it, or is indifferent. As for people still blissfully unaware, I
maintain that this whole process has so far been unfair to them,
insofar that they haven't been given adequate opportunities/means to
become informed.

- Tam
--
Viet-Tam Luu