Re: (street tire) classes

To: <jcreasy@perforce.com>
Subject: Re: (street tire) classes
From: "PAUL TIBBALS" <pault151@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:01:12 -0800
James,
Yes, "too many classes", there's the concept.  If I come in fifth out of
fourteen I don't earn a trophy, but I know I did pretty darned good.  Sixty
classes, if it's a real distinction (see previous messages) might be too
many.  Eight IMO is way too few for SFR.

If one doesn't think we have it good, read the results (in Pylon of course -
John 'll give you one if you're not a known subscriber) from the various
other areas who are straining to make a handful in each of their classes.
If you're competing like my old Cal Poly club, you're really lucky to have
four or five to compete against in your class.  Pity that David Avard was
there the same year, he beat me just about every time, sort of like Rus does
these days.  I hoist a (virtual) toast to our Steering Committee and the
experience and gear that makes our throughput of nearly three times as many
entrants work smoothly!!

A trophy is only the manifestation of your achievements.  Without something
legit having been achieved, it's indeed just a fancy piece of wood / glass /
stone / metal-plated plastic, possibly inflating your perceived
accomplishments in the eyes of those who are not even qualified to offer
praise.

With an Index, however, you at least have an idea of your achievements
/sans/ competitors in the immediate class.

PaulT   (STX - Separation Ticks maXimised)