Re: ba list note

To: Viet-Tam Luu <viettamluu@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: ba list note
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:00:16 -0700
On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 07:03:46PM -0700, Viet-Tam Luu wrote:
> Someone told me about the newly-created online forum at baautox.com. I
> think this is a better medium going forward for a few reasons:
> - "Pull" model--you go to the site to read postings rather than them
> being pushed into your E-mail inbox.

If the problem is that nobody is aware of the mailing list, then the
format really doesn't matter much.

However, I don't think that requiring people to actively check a forum
periodically makes it easier to stay informed than a mailing list that
they only have to join once.

> - Easier to pick and choose which topics you want to post to.

A mailing list is a better medium for news and announcements.  A web
forum is better for ongoing discussions, where timeliness is not important.

> - More easily accessible and searchable archive of past postings.

There is a searchable archive of ba-autox.  It's on the web, just as
accessible as any forum.

James Creasy set up a ba-autox web forum a couple years ago, but it
didn't catch on.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94