Re: Quality tire air pressure gauge

To: "Thana, Peter" <peter.thana@roche.com>
Subject: Re: Quality tire air pressure gauge
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 14:11:18 -0700
On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 01:55:13PM -0700, Thana, Peter wrote:
> I had a Longacre standard before that and the swivel chuck is definitely
> worth the upgrade.

I have a Longacre Magnum gauge (like the deluxe but with a larger
face), and the swivel chuck is a weak point.  The rubber seal in the
swivel developed a leak not long after I got the gauge.  You have to
hold the chuck tightly against the end of the hose to keep it from
leaking while you check the pressure.  For some reason, all the rubber
on the gauge started cracking within a year or two of purchase.  It's
not like I left it in the bottom of a boat sitting in the sun near the
ocean...

Other than that, the gauge has worked fine for the 5 or so years that
I have owned it.  It has gotten knocked around a bit, and still seems
accurate.

I did notice when I looked at the Longacre web site that the prices
have gone up considerably since I bought my gauge, almost double!

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94