Re: ba-autox-digest V1 #1908

To: joe.weinstein@gmail.com, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ba-autox-digest V1 #1908
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 09:50:20 EDT
Joe-

The problem that I see starts with the PAX numbers being imperfect to start
with.

The second problem is that the cars that run in T1 or T2 are typically not
prepared to the limit of the rules.  Look at any class where there are
Nationally serious drivers that have prepped their cars to the rules, say Chris
 and
Pilar's SS GT3.  Do we have any SS cars prepped to the limits, but on  street
tires, running in T1?  No.  So, an index that makes that  SS car somewhere
close to equal would really be a tire index, plus a "lack of  preparation"
 How much is tires, how much is lack of  preparation?

The third problem is how do you factor in driving skill?  there are no  KNOWN
Nationally competitive drivers running in T1 or T2.  So, how  much of the
defeceit is driving skill?  Let's say there's a 5% difference  in times.  If
it's
2% driver, 2% preparation, and 1% tires, will anyone be  happy if we give a
1% multiplier to the T1 and T2 times?  I certainly don't  think it's fair to
give them all 5%, so that their lack of preparation and  driving skill can make
them look like they are competitive...

Any "algorithm" you apply is a guess, unless you have actual data to use to
compare.  Without a bunch of consistently fast drivers competing in the  exact
same cars on perfectly designed courses, but with the perfect R tire vs.  the
perfect "Street" tire, you are guessing.

Charlie