Beta test for online Registration update

To: "Bay_Area_Autocross_List" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Beta test for online Registration update
From: "Jerry Mouton" <mouton@moutons.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 17:07:18 +0000
I have got something running for updating our registration database online.
It's really only in beta, and there are sure to be plenty of problems, but I
need everyone to bang on it and report problems you may have or bugs you find.
Go ahead and try adding phony people with bogus SCCA numbers to see how that
works. You can then change data for that bogus person if you don't have your
SCCA member handy. But I would like as many as possible to use their real
numbers for the test of the current data.

One aspect is barcodes in the html page that we hope to be able to use at
registration. To test that, we need as many as possible to print out the web
page with your barcodes and bring it to Round 16 so we can test how well they
read. The preliminary test at Round 15 found the printed barcodes were read
OK, but we need to check many printers.

Another is security. If you are so inclined, try to get access to somebody
else's data and make a joke change. Then tell me so I can block that path. I
am hopeful that there won't be any, but...?

The database there currently is test data, and changes you make will *not* be
kept. In fact, they may be cleared out at any time if I need to test
something. So don't plan on these factoring into registration. This is only a
test!

To access your data, you will need your SCCA member number and one barcode
from one of your cars. Yours is stuck to the back of your SCCA membership
card, right? Your entry barcode acts as your password, so you will want to
keep these safe in the future -- should this system pan out. The system keeps
track of who requested every individual change and when, so we are watching!

It doesn't look pretty now, that can be fixed later. But the basic function
should all be working. It's up to you to find the bugs! (of course, I'll be
doing further testing too)

Any comments on the way the web pages work, how to make it easier for you,
would also be appreciated.

To try it, go here:

http://sfr-solo.org/Database

Let me know of anything that does not look right.

Thanks for helping out here. I hope we can make this real someday.

Jerry