Carbon footprint of autocross including travel

To: "Bay_Area_Autocross_List" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carbon footprint of autocross including travel
From: "Jerry Mouton" <mouton@moutons.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 23:28:09 +0000
Katie Elder points out that calculating and arguing with Alameda is not going
to work, we have to present how all our carbon emissions are offset. And we
need to offset the travel to and from events too, at least until the carbon
cap and trade system offsets all our gasoline usage.

So, how much carbon do we all emit going and coming from an event? Here's a
guess to dispute with.

150 entrants

Average distance traveled to and from: 80 miles
(12 from out of the bay area last event, San Jose-Alameda the Average
distance: 39 miles each way?)

Average MPG (including Minis and Tow rigs): 15 MPG

Total gallons used in travel: 800
Total gallons at the event: 60

Each gallon makes 6.3 lbs of CO2, for a total of: 5418 lbs of CO2, like 4.7
tons. That would be the equivalent of less than 9 CFLs replaced for a year.

As we calculated before, planting 900 tropical trees for $90.00 will offset
45,000 lbs of CO2, or about 9 events. For $10.00 an event (or so) we can be
completely carbon neutral including travel.

Katie points out that when the government implements the cap and trade system,
carbon costs will push up fuel costs and theoretically completely offset all
our gasoline based carbon emissions, so no further autocross club offsets
would be necessary. She suggests we offset our carbon through the Alameda
offset program (if there is one), because it completely removes any objection
to our sport from this area, and we will be able to point to other users of
Alameda who don't offset theirs and claim advantage over them. Note that this
will soon be an issue at all the municipalities we currently get permits for
use from.

We can only gain by being ahead of the curve here. People who think this
carbon footprint stuff is all foolishness, consider it part of the usage fee
for our sites, which it is if it works.

Jerry