Saturday the 16th

To: <bmcu@autox.team.net>
Subject: Saturday the 16th
From: Bill Van Moorhem <van@eng.utah.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 99 09:38:28 -0600
Some more comments on the Saturday event:

This collection is one of the best collections that you will see any
where in the country.  The owner (Dick Williams) is retired and well to
do.  He has collected classic cars for most of his 70 years of life.  He
is a top notch restorer as well, and has had cars of his place first in
some of the most prestigious collections/car shows in the United States.
Several of his Classics are 100 point cars.  Most that are on display (75
cars??) would do very well in any of our local car shows.

You should try to convince Dick, or who ever is showing you the
collection, to let you get into his back shop and see some of the
unrestored cars that he has.  There are about 100 cars that do not merit
room in his showroom.  He buys and sells cars like we visit fast food
restaurants.  Most (all) are for sale, and there are some real sweet
cars.  Visiting this collection is somewhat like visiting the Harrah's
collection in the late 60's.  It, in my opinion, is the best collection
in the state of Utah.  He is a great man, and a true friend to the hobby.

I remember his Rolls, (more than one)  and he has a few off-brand name
British cars, and a few European cars that have those funny names.  The
"stars" of his collection, however, are the Packard, Cords, Cadillacs,
Auborns, Etc., that are from the 20's and 30's.  He has a few pre 1910's
and even a pre 1900 in the collection, as well as all the antiques that
go with a good collection....  Stuff is packed in so tight it is hard to
get around in the display areas.

Have fun, it is a good way to spend most of a Saturday.  I, however, will
be pulling the engine/transmission out of my Sunbeam, just getting
started on this rebuild.

Brownie