A little country drive --- 8 days, 2013 miles---BMCU Memorial

To: bmcu@autox.team.net
Subject: A little country drive --- 8 days, 2013 miles---BMCU Memorial
From: "rmalsed2@juno.com" <rmalsed2@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 21:24:55 GMT
Hi kids,

All my warmest thanks to BMCU for the grand Memorial Day Run to Jackson Hole,
WY . And back!

I enjoyed the scenic splendor immensely and we (Maggie & me) enjoyed meeting
the folks on the run  at least those we could keep up with!!

AS it turned out our run lasted 8 days and covered 2,013 miles. It must have
been the pending 13 that 'got' us near Cedar City, UT on the way home. We
started out about 3:30 AM, 6/1/05, so as to beat the heat of the day into the
desert. This turned out to be a not-so-good decision. About 5 minutes down the
road in oh-dark-hundred conditions I noticed that little red light on the dash
was aglowbut all was fine at camp when we started????

Once I found a stopping place I checked the fan belt and Mr. Non-mechanical
tinkered as best he could: the result was only the observation that under 2
grand rpm NO RED LIGHT, over 2K = red lightvery interesting but meaningless to
me and way too early to call anyone (GARY???)so we pressed on.

By Las Vegas the battery was dead, still quite early so bought a new battery at
Flying J, crossed fingers and off for Palm Springs we flew  whereas time,
therefore speed, was not an issue in our usual 250 mile driving day on the
11,434 mile summer '04 drive, now time, as in 'battery life', had become a very
BIG issue. The little hardware store voltage tester showed 12V of battery when
we stopped at Paggy Sues 50s Cafi near Barstow so we ate and hit I-15 without
much delay.

By the time we were on I-10 eastbound near San Bernadino, out of the thinner
high country air, I was pushing 75, sometimes 80  far exceeding the
auto-with-trailer speed limit of 55! The little battery and Maggie & me
lasted 6 hours 15 minutes to 'parked in my driveway' from Vegasand it still
tested 12V????? After an hour or so it cooled down to maybe 4V ???? .

I have yet to put it, and/or the old battery, on the charged, look into whats
wrong inside the bonnet, or fuel up MaGgie for a total 2,013 mile MPG
calculationwere just doing laundry, having a Frappuccino and getting in a
little pool time.

Plus, I'm reflecting on how special it was to enjoy the hospitality of
Margaret, Larry and their two special little doggies . It was the BEST
home-away-from-home we might have wished forthose two are very kind folks,
even without an MG in the garage!!! The SLC 'Mr. Rope' they gave Maggie is
becoming well used by her-princess-ness.

As my departed Mom was frequent to say, Youll get your reward in Heaven!

Them, Gary and all the BMCU gang are always welcome around the pool and for a
stay in the Cabana here in Palm Springs  or come north to our Seattle summer
pasture (6/28 to 10/15/05) and well give you a a bed, shower and grand tour of
the NW ... even though I'll be MGless-in-Seattle this year!

Rubs & hugs,
Maggie & me
The 10,000 MILE TD
www.mg3club.org/rickontheroad.htm

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/pjpeg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/pjpeg]