Re: Carb Advice

To: "Kirk Probasco" <kirk@kinara.com>, <bmcu@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Carb Advice
From: "Jeff Anderson" <jwanderson20@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:05:07 -0600
Hi Kirk,

I'm interested in any advice you receive on this issue because I too have a
77 MGB with HIFs.  But (luckily for me) I live in a county that does not yet
require emissions testing.

>I need some advice on my carbs, I thought the BMCU team could help. I have
>a 1977 MGB, she's beautiful and runs great, but I can't pass emissions.  I
>have duel HIF-4 carbs (I don't think they are stock on '77) I have rebuilt
>them and I'm still can't get them leaned out enough to pass.  All of the
>emission control stuff was taken off the car before I bought it.

Like yours, my car had all the emission control equipment removed before I
bought it.  But the difference is that my car had a Weber on it when I
bought it.  I removed the Weber, and replaced it with HIFs.

When my car had the Weber, it performed well at full throttle, but
performance was not smooth when driving with light or moderate throttle.  I
drive at light throttle a lot more than at full throttle ;-)
My car is a LOT nicer driver with the HIFs, although I don't believe it is
"right" yet, because it runs out of power pretty quickly at full throttle.
But it drives great around town.  I do believe that the Weber provided
better gas milage than the HIFs however.  All in all, I DIDN'T like the
Weber, but it may not have been setup correctly either.

Note that I'm not sure that it will be any easier to pass emisions with the
Weber, than with the HIFs.  If you are still missing the catalytic
converter, EGR, and air injection functions, the Weber may not pass either.
I'm sure that others on this list will have more experience.

> Is the Zenith-Stomberg stock for my car?

You are correct, the 175 Zenith is stock on a 77

> Where can I buy a refurbished one?

Don't know where you could buy a referbished Zenith, or any other
replacement carb that is specificly for emission controlled engines.

> Does someone have a parts car I could get everything off and rebuild?

The previous post referred to a 75 car for parts that was running and may
have the parts you would need.  Maybe you didn't see the posting.  The
contact info was: Joe   801-766-1442

> Is a Weber conversion worth the money?

I didn't think so.

> Should I sell my MG and spend the money on beer?

It's hard to advise against buying beer, but don't sell your Brit car for
it.  Keep the faith.

-- Jeff Anderson