Ogden Station tour Saturday Nov. 11

To: BMCU Membership <bmcu@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ogden Station tour Saturday Nov. 11
From: Gary Lindstrom <gary@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:17:25 -0700
Ogden Union Station Museums
November 11, 2006

The Tech Session scheduled for Saturday November 11 has transmogrified
into a tour of the Ogden Union Station Museums.  According to the AAA
Tour Book for Utah:

   The site contains four museums and two art galleries.  Gallery at the
Station showcases fine art; the Myra Powell Gallery features the
station's permanent art collection.

   The Utah State Railroad Museum depicts U.S. railroad history through
films, memorabilia and a miniature train.  The John M. Browning Firearms
Museum displays handguns, rifles and larger firearms.  The
Browning-Kimball Car Museum exhibits a collection of vintage
automobiles.  Also displayed is an 1881 narrow-gauge steam engine.  The
National History Museum contains items ranging from fossils and
arrowheads to a 44,000-carat piece of quartz weighing 19 pounds.

   Guided tours are available.  Allow 1 hour, 30 minutes minimum.
Mon.-Sat. 10-6, Memorial Day-Labor Day; 10-5, rest of year.  Closed Jan.
1, Thanksgiving, and Dec. 24-25.  Admission $5; over 62, $4; ages 2-12,
$3.  Phone (801) 393-9886.

Web site is http://www.theunionstation.org.

Rendezvous will be at the north parking lot of the Utah State Capitol at
9:00am, with departure at 9:30am.  We'll shun-pike our way to Ogden,
using Victory Road, Beck Street, and US-89.  Those traveling
independently can expect to see us at the Union Station about 10:15am.
After enjoying the museums and displays, we'll adjourn for lunch to
Rooster's Pub, just up the street at 253 25th Street.