reminder: Ogden Station Museums tour tomorrow (Sat. 11/18)

To: BMCU Membership <bmcu@autox.team.net>
Subject: reminder: Ogden Station Museums tour tomorrow (Sat. 11/18)
From: Gary Lindstrom <gary@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 08:13:04 -0700
Ogden Union Station Museums
November 18, 2006
NOTE DATE CHANGE!

The Tech Session scheduled for Saturday November 11 has transmogrified
into a November 18 tour of the Ogden Union Station Museums. According to
the AAA Tour Book for Utah:

     The site contains four museums and two art galleries. Gallery at
the Station showcases fine art; the Myra Powell Gallery features the
station's permanent art collection.

     The Utah State Railroad Museum depicts U.S. railroad history
through films, memorabilia and a miniature train. The John M. Browning
Firearms Museum displays handguns, rifles and larger firearms. The
Browning-Kimball Car Museum exhibits a collection of vintage
automobiles. Also displayed is an 1881 narrow-gauge steam engine. The
National History Museum contains items ranging from fossils and
arrowheads to a 44,000-carat piece of quartz weighing 19 pounds.

     Guided tours are available. Allow 1 hour, 30 minutes minimum.
Mon.-Sat. 10-6, Memorial Day-Labor Day; 10-5, rest of year. Closed Jan.
1, Thanksgiving, and Dec. 24-25. Admission $5; over 62, $4; ages 2-12,
$3. Phone (801) 393-9886.

Web site is http://www.theunionstation.org.

Rendezvous will be at the north parking lot of the Utah State Capitol at
9:00am, with departure at 9:30am. We'll shun-pike our way to Ogden,
using Victory Road, Beck Street, and US-89. Those traveling
independently can expect to see us at the Union Station about 10:15am.

After enjoying the museums and displays, we'll adjourn for lunch to
Rooster's Pub, just up the street at 253 25th Street.

[Note: the date has been rescheduled a week later due to Veterans Day
activities in the Ogden Station vicinity on Nov. 11]