Re: [Bmcu] Decision Time now....

To: bmcu@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Bmcu] Decision Time now....
From: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 22:55:16 -0600
What is the problem with the engine?  Is it just worn out, or is this a
case of the classic thrust washer problem, where they fall out and the
crank becomes a crude cutting tool chewing up the block?  1500s are also
known for chewing up the #3 rod bearing, sometimes the #2.

I haven't actually checked lately, but there are folks who will sell a
complete, rebuilt engine for maybe something on the order of $3,000
dollars.  Just guessing here, I had meant to write up a more accurate
quote for a fellow who needed an engine, but never got around to doing
so.  This new day job is taking up too much of my Triumph time!

It all boils down to what you are willing to spend on it.  You could
easily put, say, $5,000 into a Spitfire and up with a nice $4,000 dollar
car.  If I built you an engine like the one I had in the Killer Spit,
hand selected components, precision balanced assemblies, lots of trick
racing, uh, stuff, careful, painstaking assembly and all that labor
intensive work it would cost a lot more than just a nice, peppy street
motor.

Forget all that.  Your car is toast.  I'll give $100 for it as it sits.
You'll have to haul it to my place, I still don't have a vehicle to pull
my trailer.

mjb.
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive