Re: Body Panels

To: Dave Cairns <dexin@idirect.com>, bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Body Panels
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 08:10:57 -0500
At 10:53 PM 4/2/97 -0600, Dave Cairns wrote:
>Ok.. The Bricklin I am looking at has many cracking is most of the
>pannels.. What can I do about them ? (Besides replace themm) Is there
>anything elese I can do..

Dave,

   This is a very common problem with the Bricklin.  The cracks are
only in the top surface - the acrylic sheet.

   If you are looking for a driver, then don't worry about it at first.

  There are 3 ways to fix the problem:

   1. carefully grind each crack open a little, really clean with
      isoprople alchol and fill with dynaglass.  This is the
      prefered method.  Dynaglass is a very short strand fiberglass
      based product.  (Note 1)

   2. You can sand the areas down until there is no more cracks.
      This usually means that you have sanded off the acrylic sheet.
      (Note 1).

   3. Purchase new panels.  Both the NOS acrylic and replacement
      fiberglass panels are available.  However, the acrylic panels
      are more expensive.

Note 1 - After doing the body work, you will have to seal the body
         with a water based primer.   Then paint the panels.  If
         you don't seal the acrylic with the water based primer,
         the protroleum distilates (sp) in the paint thinner will
         slowly eat the acrylic and the paint will flake off.

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!