Re: Brick body work

To: Ron Auger <ron.auger@isc-br.isc-br.com>, Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brick body work
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 19:01:01 -0400
At 05:44 PM 4/21/97 EDT, you wrote:

>I've just recently subscribed to this list....
>I immediatly had the car painted black by a supposedly
>reputable paint shop....
>Now I have chipping, cracking, spider-webbing, and my hood has >taken on a
new shape. I've heard Terry has new fiberglass body
>panels; I think there may even be complete acrylic body sets
>available out there. I would like to hear if anyone has
>another suggestion and can inform me of the requisit
>skill/time/money/tools needed to do it.

For starters, Ron, welcome aboard.  Hope you enjoy the group.
Don't know if you know about the Web page or not and Tech
Central.  If you don't mind, could I have you address and
phone # for my records.

Now as to your plight.  I guess there are some preliminary
questions that have to be answered:

   a. Do you have a lot of money?
   b. How much of the work will you do yourself?
   c. Are you looking for a driver or a show car?

The 2 restorers (Terry Tanner and Bob Hoffman) would probably
shoot me for the following advice.

   If you aren't looking for a show car, simply a driver, or
are currently pressed for cash, the cheapest thing to do is to
sand off the problems.  This will usually remove the acrylic layer and
leave the fiberglass.  If you have exposed strands,
you can paint on a coat of resin to seal the fiberglass.  Then
use Dynaglass to finish the areas and paint.  You could probably do this
for about $500 if you do the work.  Replace
only those panels that it is absolutely necessary.

  If you are looking for a show car, then you will want to
replace the panels.  However this is big bucks and labor.
Fiberglass panels are easier to come by and usually cheaper.
If you use the acrylic panels, you will have to face them
cracking in the future.  So I'd suggest using the fiberglass panels.
   1. Hatch                         $390.00
   2. Hood                        $550.00
   3. A piller                    $75.00
   4. Door skin                   $295.00
   5. Hood extension                  $250.00
   6. Rear 1/4 panel            $320.00
   7. Rear 1/4 panel (lower)    $85.00
   8. Rear 1/4 splash shields   $70.00
   9. Panel rear                      $295.00
  10. Panel roof                $250.00
  11. Rear trough               $85.00

Roughly $3,500 for a new body.  Or any where in between.

As to the requsite tools:

   5hp 30gal compressor (min.)  approx $450
   air sanders (da & inline)    approx $ 80

plus the usual hammers, screwdrivers, putty knifes etc.  Removing the rear
1/4 panels is probably the hardest part.
The next major problem is to remove the front window to
remove the roof.

Skills, general body work and common sense.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@nhr.com
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  495-8229

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire