Re: 1975 Bricklin driver ???

To: bricklin@autox.team.net, joseppi@erinet.com
Subject: Re: 1975 Bricklin driver ???
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 17:07:09 -0400

>       My girlfriend's brother-in-law has a 1975 Bricklin all original with
>10,000 original miles on it that he purchased new in 1975 in Columbus ,
>Ohio from Byers (spelling?) . He paid said he paid 14,000 for the car in
>1975. I have considered buying the car but he doesn't know what a fair
>price would be for the car at present. I would like your advice on what
>would be a fair price for the car.
>       The car is in excellent condition with the exception that the side
>molding is missing.....'

>Would you be kind enough to tell me whether you feel that this would be a
>sound investment for every day use and what it may be worth at present
>given the above information.

Joe,

   Don't know if anyone has answered you questions or not.  I'll give it a
shot.

 I think it is a viable investment for a daily driver.  Infact I hope so, as
I've been restoring my 75 for 3 years and hope to make it my daily driver.
As with any "used" car, be aware that it might nickle and dime you to death
unless you rebuild everything first.  But who wants to do that if they don't
have to.  Even being nickled and dimed to death is cheaper than trying to
pay for a "new" car.  A friend just bought a 97 Accord for $18,000.  You can
buy a lot of gas and make a lot of repaird for that amount of money!!!!

A good driver is worth between about $8,000 and $13,000.  If it is really in
the shape you say it's in.  A show car is about $14,000 to $20,000.  I know
these are wide spreads but....

>Also, I 'd like to know about reliability and matinence please.

You don't mention where you live Joe.  But basically the drive train is quite
dependable.  There are 2 major problem areas, the cars have a tendency to
leak water in the rain - do you live in a tropical rain forest?  The cars
have a tendency to over heat, and the cockpit can get quite warm.  If you
live in the very hot South, Gluf Coast, or desert, you may have to work
on the overheating problem and keeping the cockpit cool.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.  Let us know if
you acquire the car.  By the way (you can respond to this privately)
what is the current owners name, where does he live, and what is the vin
of the car?.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@nhr.com
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  495-8229

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire