What about that ignition lock?

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: What about that ignition lock?
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 18:38:32 PST
On my 75 I can't get the key to turn -- it turns "backward" but won't
really go to even the first start position.  Also, the steering wheel is
not locked (I don't know if this is part of the same problem) and I can
turn it past what feels like detents.  Finally, the little button that
you press down doesn't seem to do anything.  I tried wiggling it,
strongly trying to turn it, etc., but can't get it to budge.  The little
rod that goes down the top of the wheel to the electrical ignition
switch does move when I turn the key counterclockwise.  Any ideas?