Re: Door latch solenoids & stuff

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Door latch solenoids & stuff
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 17:40:35 -0500
At 02:31 PM 3/31/98 -0600, Olson, Scott wrote:
>......I put the system into the door, (Are there any hints as to how
>to get more working room in the door?)

Sure, pull the skin off :).  You'd be amazed at how easy it is to work on
the doors with out the skin.  I'm currently working in 887 and a friends
74.  Neither of them have skins on the doors yet.

>5)Door latch solenoids:  All I have is the interoir handle.  All
>other latch equiptment is gone.  The latches, solenoid, and latch plate
>don't exist.  I need to know what I need to buy and how it works.

Scott,

There are several parts that make up the door latching mech.
1. I call the "D" ring.  It mounts to the sill plate.  This is what the
   door latches to.
2. The latch mech.  There are 2 parts to this.  One part mounts on the
   outside of the door and catches on the the "D" ring.  The other mounts
   inside the door is the works.
3. The electric (or Terry's new air) solenoids.  The solenoids job is
   to act like you hand when pulling the door handle.  It releases the
   mech. that is closed around the "D" ring.
4. The manual door handle.  It is connected to the inside latch along
   with the electric solenoid.  But if for some reason the electric
   solenoid will NOT release the latch, the manual one is supposed to.
5. Misc. linkage mech. to connect the solenoid and manual handle to the
   latch assembly.

I believe both Terry Tanner and Bob Hoffman can provide the parts.  But
I don't know the price.

>Do the solenoids actuate both electronically and via the manual unlatch.

No.  Both items attach to the same assembly and do the same job.  Mearly
redundency.

>Does the door handle send a signal that can be used to open the door?

No.  But if you want to do something like that, you could find a way
of mounting a micro switch inside the door to monitor it.

>6)     Is it just me or is the Bricklin one of the worst cars to be in
>if you start to sink in water.  I don't plan on doing this, but has
>anyone tried fitting into the car through the windows?

The usual way into the car is via the rear hatch.  If you need to get
out, you pull the pin on the ram, pull the door handle and lift the
door.

Scott, I'll email you a gif file of the mech. via private email.

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V