Floorpan Skidplates?

To: "Bricklin (E-mail)" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Floorpan Skidplates?
From: "Olson, Scott" <scottolson@cascon.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 23:32:45 -0500
I was under my 74 this weekend spilling gas all over myself when I
noticed my rust problem.  The underside of the car has a classic coat of
rust although most areas of the car don't appear to have any major rust
problems.  This however,  does not apply to the steel skidplates? Under
the floorpan where the seats bolt in.  I have lost  almost 1/4th of the
metal and I can pulll large flakes and chunks off.  What are these?
How are they attached,  and can they be replaced.  Can you purchase them
or do they need to be fabricated.

If I have to fabricate something,  I was thinking that the chrome steel
skidplate material (with the diamond bumps used on semi-s) would look
pretty fancy underneath the car.  Given the amount of time I spend under
the car,  it might be enjoyable  =)

For those of us that aren't that good at paying attention.  I should:
1)      remove the rust with a wire brush (can I use a rotary drill
one?)
2)      Apply POV-something
3)      Then do I paint it or does the POV  whatever take car of that
4)      I want to apply a thick coat of undercoating (my friend used on
his 65 Mustang) that will help reduce water contact, seal the seams and
provide some vibration and noise dampening.

Also for the interior of the car,  I have removed 3/4th  of the carpet
(minus the part underneath the seats that haven't been removed yeat for
fear of the unknown).   When I remove all the carpet and hairy brown
stuff,  what should I do to prepare the interior of the car before
laying down the aluminized rubber stuff (reccomended by Tanner from J.C.
Whitney) ?  I will then replace the carpet and breath deeply.  The rest
of the car can wait as long as I prevent any further rusting   =)

Thanks guys and sorry for babbling

-Scott #466