86 5.0 Econoline as donor vehicle?

To: "'Bricklin'" <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: 86 5.0 Econoline as donor vehicle?
From: "Olenick, Jamison" <Olenick@ssims.nci.nih.gov>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 17:33:57 -0400
Phil,
   As a fellow Bricklin owner and 5.0 Mustang owner I can tell you what
I know.
   I have considered the same swap into my bricklin and still have not
decided against it.
   Here is what I know:
   First - is the 5.0 EFI speed density or mass air. (the easiest way to
tell is there will be a mass air meter between the air filter and the
throttle body if the car is mass air). If the EFI setup is speed density
(86-88 Mustangs) (i dont know about the trucks) you will have to get a
mass air conversion for the car.  The speed density setup works well
with a stock setup but will cause computer failure if too much is
changed to the original engine setup (cam, heads, supercharger, turbo,
nitrous....)  Cost ~ $400
   As for the intake - Ford Motorsport sells a EFI lower intake for a
351 (stock equipment on a Lightning) but it is a GT40 intake,  which
requires a GT40 upper intake.  Cost for both ~$600
   I think that you will also have to change distributors not to mention
removing almost everything from the 5.0 donor - all sensors - fuel pump,
(which will cause you to have to get new high pressure fuel lines)
   I am not sure about the Ford wiring harness that makes it easier to
swap a 5.0 EFI setup into an older car.  Sounds like a good idea if
there is one.
   I still have considered the swap myself but have not found the time
or energy to do it.  If you decide to attempt it I would love to hear
how it goes.
   Let me know if you have any more questions.  I have good knowledge of
the Mustang 5.0 EFI setup.
                                                Jamie

ps - I have a Hypertech chip for a Mass air 5.0 with 5spd.  (will not
work with the auto)

*       Jamie Olenick                    olenick@ssims.nci.nih.gov
*       "Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my
first instinct is to laugh.
*       But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me.
Then it wouldn't seem quite
*       so funny"  J.H.
*
*