Brake Problems

To: "Bricklin (E-mail)" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake Problems
From: David Ebel <david.ebel@visitalk.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 09:45:31 -0700
        Well it looks like there is a serious rear brake issue with 841 -
and at least someone had been trying to figure it out before me and my dad.
Here's the low-down in case someone can help.

Problem:  No rear brakes.  When one wheel is lifted off the ground, and
spins at idle, pressing the brake only causes it to slow down, not stop
completely.

Trouble shooting:

        There is movement of the rear pads when the tire is off.  This
indicates to us that the cylinders are not froze.  It occurred to us that
perhaps the booster was not working, and thus not supplying enough pressure
to stop the tires seriously.

Power booster replaced.  The one we got was a little bigger, and a very
tight fit.  It was off a 69-74 javeline which was listed in the cross
reference data.  It might have to be replaced because the rod sticks out to
far - thus causing a lot of free motion on the pedal before brakes begin
applying - feels bad.

Anyway, that only caused the brakes light to turn on,  (which should have
been on the whole time) and put us back to square one.

When  we tried to bleed the brake system we found that brake fluid only
drizzled out the nipple off the rear cylinder...  (we also noticed a lot of
new rear brake work.. Hmmm...).

My guess:  Someone noticed there were no rear brakes, and re-did the easy
things.   Now it is either the Proportioning valve, a brake line clog, or
perhaps the cylinders are messed up.  Tonight we plan on tracing the brake
line for clauges, and then narrowing it down to the proportioning valve.  If
it is that - what is involved?  How much does one cost?  Do they have to be
adjusted?  I really want to drive 841 soon!  Thanks for your help!

Dave

David Joseph Ebel
david.ebel@visitalk.com
visitalk.com - Website Developer
Office: (602) 850-3402 | Cell: (602) 315-9585
Bricklin Owner #841 <www.davidebel.com>