Gelcoat vs Acrylic

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gelcoat vs Acrylic
From: "alphachi" <alphachi@writeme.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:55:40 -0400
As I said Claude, no offense was meant about your choice of finishes, and I
thought I mentioned it was a viable choice.  And I agree it is a better
option than simple paint and may be the only option if we can't get this
trial together to test bonafide acrylic finishes.  Perhaps calling gelcoat
"paint", was inexact in making my point it was a finish other than the one
applied.  It is a common finish applied to boats.  Unfortunately, and this
you can agree, a gelcoated Brick is still a gelcoated Brick, that was my
point.  I'm sure it looks good, but if we can find a viable acrylic process,
not only will it look as good, it will be a true to form Brick.  I'm hoping
you can concede that point.  There may be a real opportunity to restore the
Brick panels rather than alter them by applying boat finishes or standard
paints.  The key to any true restoration and you'll be hard pressed to find
a restorer that disagrees, is to match the original finish as close as
possible, NOT to modernize it.
stephan #