Re: Newbie Info

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Newbie Info
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 08:04:54 -0500
At 06:28 AM 1/14/01 -0600, you wrote:

>I am just at the beginning looking stage for my Bricklin so I hope you will
>be patient as I ask dumb questions.

>For starters I need reference to a good descriptive book on how the car is
>constructed and what equipment it has originally.
Ken,

   For starters, have you read the various info on the web page.  There's a
lot of good info there.  As to a book there really isn't one like what you
are talking about.  The club sells the Brooklands Book book on the Brick.
This is a collection of articles from the era.  Spread through the book and
article you may find the info you are looking for.

   Another method is to write down all you questions, then call someone and
ask them.  (Feel free to call me.)

>For instance, I understand that the body shell is fiberglass covered by
>colored acrylic panels. How is the fiberglass attached to  the frame work,
>and how is the acrylic attached to the fiberglass?

That is correct, acrylic over fiberglass.  The panels are glued and pop
rivited to the steel birdcage or they are bolted to the frame.  The acrylic
was glued (bonded) to the fiberglass.

>And if the acrylic is removed , and the fiberglass is painted, does the
>removal cause a mismatch between panels because of the thickness of the
>acrylic?

You don't remove the acrylic.  However, to fix the body cracks it may be
necessary to sand through the acrylic to sand out the crack.  Patch the
area and then paint.

If you have major problems with a body panel, you can either replace it with
an OEM acrylic/fiberglass, or with a fiberglass replacemant panel.

>And what are the general weaknesses to look for when inspecting
>a potential buy?

1. Rust - the plenumn, bottom of the doors, sillplates, A and B pillars.
2. Rust - the entire chassis and all metal reinforcement plates.
3. An intact car - all the pieces there.

Hope this helps.

Editor/Publisher The Brickline
Quarterly Magazine of Bricklin International

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire   71 Saab Sonett III