Re: to mod or not to mod....... Claude

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: to mod or not to mod....... Claude
From: "alphachi" <alphachi@writeme.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 15:34:21 -0500
Claude I appreciate your sentiment, however even Ford Motorsports sells HIPo
modifications.   Things are stock based on many factors, including cost,
resistance to abuse, economy(driving) emissions, availability of mass
production, etc., etc.  And no, you cannot modify ONE thing at a time.  What
are you suggesting?  Lets put aluminum heads then check and see what
happens?  Lets put on a performance cam and lets see what happens. That's
NOT trial and error, that's just poor planning.  Many manufacturers now take
a more holistic approach as succesful mixing and matching can be as
challenging as you've shared.   Look, there are many different perspectives
and we probably have many interesting stories and experiences to share.
Many of these points are well known to all, and it's just a matter of
selecting which ones support a particular argument.  That's not trial and
error, that's a waste of time.  It's also way too much typing <grin>.  I
would love to share opinions over a brew or java, but as for the list, I'm
ready to let things rest on their merits.   As for mechanics and LOCAL
garages, hell, this is REDLINE PERFORMANCE, all they do mainly  is race
engines, usually in the 10-20K range.  Perhaps this is not their forte',
slight mods, or maybe they're just not into the set up used (believe the
latter).  One camp swears by Holley, the other swears by Edel, and still
others, admittedly few, swear by Demons and B/Gs.  If the car is not set up
the way they believe in, they're just not going to be into it.   Not very
professional, but very human none-the-less.

stephan #2821