Re: ac compresor, R12 vs. 134a

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ac compresor, R12 vs. 134a
From: "Ryan Rodgers" <bricklin_2568@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 23:41:59 -0500
  It is normal that 134 is not as cold as R12.  R12 is made from natural
resources that the liberals claim are harmfull to the environment, thats why
its so expensive.  Its been overtaxed. 134 is engineered and will not ever
be as cold as the natural thing.  And as for converting an AC system,  the
RIGHT way to do it is to get a new AC compressor and Dryer.  if you don't
the mineral oil for the R12 will sit right at the bottom of the dryer. and
134 is know to have 400 to 500 psi.  where R12 only has about 300 psi, this
could blow the compressor.  But another local mechanic has just been getting
the retro kits and just changing the fittings, he did not change the
compressor or dryer and he has no problems out of doing this.  So I did this
to a few vehicles after he told me this and they havent been back about it
yet.  When I change my AC I might just do the retro kits fittings and keep
my compressor and dryer.  I'll just make sure I drain all the mineral oil
and just hope the AC compressor will hold together.

                         Ryan #2568
                         Rodgers