A/C alternative

To: <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: A/C alternative
From: "Perry Ziff" <ziff@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:28:59 -0400
Hi,

This is my first post, though I've been lurking for a while and have been a
Bricklin owner for ~20 years.

I recently had my A/C system tested and though it had no freon, there was no
discernable leak.  It must have been a very slow leak as it had been at
least 10 years since I recharged the system.

I thought abouht whether to do a 134A retrofit or just do an r12 recharge.
After talking with Terry Tanner, I decided to go for a 3rd option and charge
the system with a product called MaxiFridge which is R12 compatible and is
supposedly colder than R12 while still being inert.  The directions also
recommend less MaxiFridge be used than you would use with R12.  I.E., you
need less than 2 pounds to charge the system.  I ordered a case and had a
local guy charge my system with it.

That was about 2 months ago, and so far I can report that I've had no
problems with the system...and a thermometer placed in the vents registers
about 28 degrees F!!!!  I used the A/C for about 7 hours almost continuously
last week on my drive out to the BI meet in Cleveland, and the only
complaint I've got is the lack of blower power.  The car takes too long to
get cold in 80 degree temps, and doesn't get cold at all when it's over 85
degrees outside.  But the trickle of air coming out of the vents is pretty
cold.

Anyone have a good fix for increasing the blower power?

Perry Ziff
VIN# 851 and 1458