Re: Scrapping Cars

To: "Bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Scrapping Cars
From: "Owen Evans" <tybach@adan.kingston.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:44:11 -0500
Well, this is a delicate subject. Let me assure you that if I was in the
U.S. I too would vote against the law simply because it doesn't appear to
have any flexibility. The hobby involving old cars is as valid as any other
popular activity.
Also, I have no objection to having and using scrappers. The law that I
described does not in any way impact the right to have any number of cars
including scrappers (I have one myself). All it is saying is that you should
do it in a reasonable fashion.
The quality of air for instance is not an individual right, it is a
community concern simply because it is shared by everyone. Visual quality is
the same and since it is a community concern then the community has the
right to try to ensure that visual quality is protected. I realise that on
this continent the right of the individual is paramount but it is carried to
a rediculous extent when it is allowed to impact negatively an individuals
right to a decent quality of life, of which the visual aspect is an integral
part. Too much of this continent is trashed because of the right of the
individual.
I am now going to put my missile defence system on full alert.
Owen Evans