Re: Degreeing the Distributor

To: "bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Degreeing the Distributor
From: "High Tech Coatings" <htc@mnsi.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 05:32:32 -0400
----- Original Message -----
> I was talking to a shop about building an engine for my Nova and happened
> mention the Bricklin's problems with overheating.  They said one thing to
do
> is to degree the distributor.  What is this?

Degreeing the distributor is also known as recurving it. To do this the
dist. is removed from the car and put on a distributor machine,  and spun,
the advance ,both vacuum and mechanical are measured and then optimized.
many times the mechanical advance is faulty due to stuck weights rusted
springs etc. the advance curve can be easily optimized on the machine but it
takes some one with a bit of knowledge and talent to get the job done. These
old machines are getting hard to find because most cars now have computer
controlled timing so it is a software change(easier) instead of hardware
Rick