'74 headers installation

To: "\"Bricklin\" <"<bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: '74 headers installation
From: PEABODYDC@prodigy.net
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:06:07 -0500
Last winter I bought a set of Hedman headers for
roughly $100 from Auto Zone (this way theyre
returnable).

I first called Jegs to find the correct model # and
then went to Auto Zone to order them.

The drivers side was literally a drop-in. All I did
was disconnect the oil dip stick from the spark plug
bracket and the header set dropped in after a little
maneuvering around the spark plugs. The best way is to
go from the bottom up, not top down.

Dont use the gaskets that come with the headers!
Theyll burnout after just a few months and youll
have to replace them. I know this from experience. Buy
the correct gaskets separately, and make sure they
have a metal center. Youll be surprised at how easily
the drivers side header installed.

The Passengers side wasnt so easy.After
disconnecting the suspension arms from the chassis,
the header pipe closest to the front of the car was
curved incorrectly so it pressed against the chassis
where the suspension arm connects. The pipe was
basically shaped like an elongated S but needed to
be more like a backwards L in order to clear the
chassis.

I drew a picture of how it should look and went to a
custom muffler shop to make the changes. The first two
attempts didnt quite make it because the curves were
too wide when they needed to be closer. Eventually, we
got it correct and the pipe fit, but now theres a
specific sequence to removing the components if my
starter fails.

First, the suspension, the header and then the
starter. The biggest headache is the header bolts
because of the angel at which you need a wrench. The
whole process will be about 2 hours total, so dont
burnout your starter! I did and it was terrible
replacing it.

If you decide to do this, I recommend also getting the
header extension pipes with the S curves so you can
use the existing holes in the frame that the exhaust
pipes go through.

My next project is to remove the rear of the system
(Hence, the free muffler) and replace the muffler with
twin mufflers with 3 pipes.

Ill take photos for the Brickline when its complete.

Dave

P.S. If anyone wants to call with further questions,
heres my number: (617) 566-9329