Front-heaviness

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Front-heaviness
From: "Phil Martin" <pmartin_vacation@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 17:25:06 +0000
----Original Message Follows----
From: "Mitwelt" <mitwelt@bellsouth.net>

As for weight distribution, it seems MUCH more front heavy than that. But
then, maybe the stock muffler weighs more than I thought.   Worse, the
amount of weight in FRONT of the front axle appears considerable.  The
effects of this weight are exponential.
====
I expect that the feeling of front-heaviness is probably contributed to by
the conservative AMC suspension geometry which favored straight-line
stability over sharp-edged resonse in transitional moves.  Also, you've got
that HEAVY bumper hanging WAY out in front of the axle.  Its contribution to
the weight distribution is probably significant, but also probably dwarfed
by its contribution to the car's moment of inertia...

Both of the bumpers on my car will be replaced by something a lot lighter.
I don't list driving into walls as one of my hobbies. :)

--
Phil Martin
"I don't know what I'm to say,