Re: New gull wing

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New gull wing
From: "Seth" <sbunin@cablespeed.com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 12:29:24 -0400
It's never the design that keeps things out of production, we engineers can
always make it work, and pass those silly government requirements; its
the cost that keeps it out. If the gullwing door costs $100 more to manufacture,
and the manufacturer makes 100,000 (a reasonable estimate for a pass car) a
year,
thats $10 million in pure profit they are throwing out the window. So if the
customer
will accept a standard door, the manufacturer won't spend the extra money.

I was actually more interested in the kinematics of their hinge design. If you
go to Volvo's
website you can see a little more of the detail. It looks much more complex
than the
Bricklin's, and it looks like they are probably using linear actuators instead
of hydraulics or
pneumatics.

Seth